You are here

Getting Started

Obtaining services at the University Accessibility Center involves a few steps:

  1. Complete the Intake Form:
  2. Call the UAC front desk at (801) 422-2767 to set up an intake appointment with a coordinator.
  3. Bring documentation of your disability to the office (2170 WSC) prior to or at the time of your appointment. Sources of documentation may include:
    • Medical records
    • BYU Student Health Center
    • Psychological evaluation
    • BYU Counseling and Psychological Services (1500 WSC)
    • Audiogram
    • IEP or 504 Plan (must be supported by documentation from a treating physician; if the disability is a learning disorder, the IEP or 504 must be supported by a psychoeducational evaluation report that includes a background section, test scores, interpretation of test scores, diagnosis,and functional limitations)
    • Or have your health care professional complete this form and bring it to our office or FAX it (801-422-0174).

*Note: Documentation should include a current and formal diagnosis from your treating licensed physician/therapist. For ethical reasons, we do not accept documentation from a family member or relative, even if they are licensed. Documentation is current if it meets the following guidelines:

  • ADHD - documented within the last five years
  • Emotional Disorder (depression, anxiety, OCD, PTSD, etc.) - documented within the last two years
  • Learning Disorder - documented within the last seven years. If obtained at age 16 or older, then it will suffice for the client's entire tenure at BYU
  • Hearing Impairment - documented at any prior time
  • Physical Disorder (chronic migraines, IBS, visual impairment, spinal cord injury,  diabetes, epilepsy, etc.) - documented within the last two years (or sometimes, depending on the disability, at any prior time) 

If your physician is faxing over the documentation, please call our office to follow up on the receipt of documentation. Notification from our office will not be available.


The University Accessibility Center also has options for low-cost evaluation of ADHD and learning disorders. If you are interested in these options, at the time you schedule your intake appointment, please let the UAC front desk know of your interest so that they can assign you to the appropriate coordinator. If you become interested in these evaluation options after you have already met with a coordinator, please ask your coordinator for more information.